telecommunications towers/Ameritech local court records database (fwd)

  regarding Ameritech...  future West Publishing?

  ---------- Forwarded message ----------
  Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 23:08:39 -0600
  From: amato@essential.org
  To: "love@Essential.ORG" <love@essential.org>
  Subject: telecommunications towers/Ameritech local court records database

  [snip]

  II) Just recently, our County Clerk's office sold the court records to Ameritech's "CivicLink" with an
  exclusive contract -- that the County will not provide on-line _remote_ access (but still allows in person
  access on-line/on paper).  The County argues that this is "much cheaper" than having the County provide
  remote access, and lawyers think it is simply great because they are comparing no remote access to paid-for
  access...blah blah blah...  Chicago's clerk tried to do the same thing, and the Cook County Judges have
  delayed it -- claiming the records belong to them..... any suggestions of what we can do after the fact here
  to protest the monopoly giveaway....?