CHICOCO RESPONSE TO MOSOP PRESS STATEMENT

  The attention of the Chicoco Movement has been drawn to the MOSOP press
  statement of 03/10/97, received on the 09/10/97, wherein it is stated that
  the Chicoco Movement claimed to be an umbrella organisation of which MOSOP
  is a member. This is a falsehood and the comment is embarassing to say the
  least. We wish to state that at no time has the Chicoco Movement by way of
  its publications or statements made such a claim. The Chicoco Movement is a
  resistant movement against environmental degradation and for the rights of
  minorities, with a pan-Niger Delta outlook. However we make bold to say that
  at the launching of the movement in Aleibiri on the 17th day of August,
  1997, many organisations were present to give solidarity speeches, amongst
  which was MOSOP represented by Mr Patrick Naagbaton.

  If by any chance MOSOP is opposed to the idea of one of its representatives
  giving a solidarity speech at such an occasion we would be glad to note such
  an objection.

  09/10/97

  Uche Onyeagucha
  Member Strategy Committee-CHICOCO MOVEMENT.

  (lynx@gn.apc.org)