The Ballad of Ken Saro-Wiwa

  The execution of environmental activist Ken Saro-Wiwa and eight of his
  associates remains a continued grievance of both the environmental
  community and those seeking justice for indigenous peoples.

  Last night at a concert sponsored by the NYC Friends of Clearwater my
  daughter Lisa debuted "Once a River" (the Ballad of Ken Saro-Wiwa). She was
  backed up by an eight person ensemble. Because of the fine reception the
  song received and the numerous requests of other singers for the lyrics, I
  am enclosing a copy of the lyrics which may be freely used for live
  performance (but not commercially recorded and distributed without further
  permission of the composer) If any one wishes the music, it can be made
  available (probably a tape in the short run). If anyone does use the song
  for performance purposes, the composer requests that his name be mentioned
  as well as his affiliation with the Sierra Club.

  It's my opinion that one of the most powerful tools any movement can use is
  song. To those who don't understand that, or regard song as a frivolous
  distraction, my sympathy.

  Once a River

  by John Klotz

  Once a river,