Green Left #289: Boycott Shell! (fwd)

  From: EcoNet Environmental Justice Desk <ejdesk@igc.apc.org>
  Subject: Green Left #289: Boycott Shell! (fwd)

  /* Written  2:40 PM  Sep  8, 1997 by peg:greenleft in igc:greenleft.news */
  Title: Stop environmental racism in Nigeria: Boycott Shell!

  By Norm Dixon

  On November 10, 1995, the Nigerian military dictatorship hanged
  Ken Saro-Wiwa and nine other Ogoni leaders who had been framed on
  murder charges. Their true crime was to expose and campaign
  against the oil giant Shell's role in the environmental
  destruction of the Ogoni people's land and communities, as well
  as its complicity in propping up the brutal regime of General
  Sani Abacha.

  Of those arrested and charged, only Ledum Mitee was acquitted.
  Ken Saro-Wiwa told him to continue the struggle, and he went
  underground, becoming acting president of the Movement for the
  Survival of the Ogoni People (MOSOP). Mitee now travels the
  world, building solidarity with the Ogoni people, and sometimes
  sneaking back into the Niger delta region.

  Mitee was in Australia in August to launch the Ogoni Freedom
  Campaign and to urge the Australian government to support a move
  to expel Nigeria from the Commonwealth at the next Commonwealth
  of government meeting (CHOGM), to be held in Britain in October.
  He spoke to a packed public meeting in Sydney on August 18.

  Mitee explained that Shell first struck oil in the lush Niger
  River delta in the 1950s. Since oil production began in 1958,
  money has poured from the delta into the coffers of Shell and the
  pockets of the corrupt central government and military high
  command. But the environmental and social cost has been great.

  ``When we talk about oil installations in Nigeria, we are not
  talking about some remote facilities in the bush or in the sea.
  We are talking about oil wells, gas flares and pipelines right
  next door.

  ``My house in my village is less than 500 metres from a gas
  flair. A gas flair is something unimaginable unless you have
  experienced it. They burn 24 hours a day, for years, producing
  toxic fumes. High pressure pipelines that carry crude oil
  criss-cross in front of people's houses and right through
  schoolyards. You have to step over them to enter your house.

  ``It was not long before these pipelines, which run between oil
  wells and flow stations, started to burst, spilling large amounts
  of crude oil. Because Shell knew these installations were bound
  to cause pollution, they told the Ogoni people that crude oil was
  medicinal. As a kid I used to rub it on my body, because we were
  told it was good for you, that it would keep evil spirits away'',
  Mitee said.

  Between 1982 and 1992, Nigeria was the site of 40% of Shell's oil
  spills worldwide - 7.4 million litres. Drinking water in the
  region contains levels of petroleum hydrocarbons at 350 times
  that allowed in the European Union. Between 1976 and 1991, there
  was an average of four oil spills a week in the delta.

  Mitee stated bluntly that this represents environmental racism.
  ``We are sharing our front lawns and our backyards with oil
  installations, pipes and flares. Where do you see oil pipelines
  like that anywhere else in the world? In Europe and America they
  are buried, but in Ogoniland, and in all parts of the Niger
  delta, all pipes are above ground.

  ``We found out that, apart from pollution, the flares that burn
  24 hours a day also attract all the insects. Crops are devoured,
  and pollution kills them. So the land dies. People who live on
  subsistence farming go hungry. The pollution enters the sea, and
  the mangrove forest, which is abundant in that part of the delta
  - the second largest mangrove forest in the world - is dying and
  with it the fish who breed under the mangroves. The land is
  polluted, the seas are polluted, the wildlife is scared away.''

  In the face of this, the 500,000 Ogoni people decided to organise
  for their rights. ``We decided to launch MOSOP, led by Ken
  Saro-Wiwa, in 1990. We demanded the right to control our
  environment, to be able to say where a pipeline should not go, to
  be able to say we don't want an oil well so close to our
  communities.

  ``We also thought that Shell should clean up the mess they had
  made. We demanded that the resources taken from our land should
  be used for development of the region.''

  Profits

  Oil accounts for 95% of Nigeria's foreign earnings. Shell
  produces 50% of Nigeria's oil. Nigeria, the world's eighth
  largest oil producer, accounts for almost 14% of Shell's global
  oil production.

  In the Niger River delta, Shell's oilfields have yielded an
  estimated US$30 billion since 1958, yet the 6 million people who
  live in the region remain desperately poor.

  Mitee told the audience: ``Since Shell came to the delta,
  billions worth of oil and gas have been taken out, yet the people
  have no electricity, no running water, no hospitals, no schools.
  It costs Shell about $2.70 to produce one barrel of oil, and they
  are selling that oil for $19 or $20 a barrel. As a result, Shell
  is one of the world's largest and most profitable companies.''

  MOSOP presented its demands to Shell, Mitee explained. It also
  launched a campaign of mass action. In January 1993, in defiance
  of the regime's ban on public demonstrations, more than 300,000
  Ogoni and their supporters marched in a massive show of support
  for the MOSOP's demands. Soon after, Saro-Wiwa was detained
  several times, prompting more large-scale protests.

  The support the movement was gaining worried the military regime
  and Shell. The corrupt and brutal military regime is propped up
  by US$30 million a day in oil revenue, and 90% of Nigeria's oil
  lies beneath the Niger delta.

  Instead of addressing the Ogoni people's grievances, Mitee said,
  Shell ``took advantage of the fact that Nigeria has a brutal
  military administration. Shell went to the military and said:
  `The economy is dependent on crude oil. If you don't crush this
  movement, it will affect the economy.' The military sent in their
  troops. People were shot, people were wounded. About 15 villages
  were completely destroyed.''

  Saro-Wiwa, Mitee and other leading members of MOSOP were arrested
  in May 1995 on trumped-up murder charges. After a show trial
  which featured false evidence and bribed witnesses, Saro-Wiwa and
  eight others were hanged. Mitee was the only one to be acquitted.

  Another 20 Ogoni leaders remain in prison in Port Harcourt on the
  same trumped-up charges. The Nigerian regime, aware of the
  international furore another trial would bring, is keeping the
  leaders out of court and refusing them bail.

  On August 11, the Ogoni 20 began a 10-day hunger strike. They are
  being kept in overcrowded cells; all must sleep on the floor in
  shifts. They are tortured, poorly fed, denied medical care and
  deprived of toilet facilities.

  Repression

  Mitee said that the repression is continuing. ``Since 1993 an
  estimated 2500 people have been killed. The military are shooting
  people every day. They have prevented the dead from being buried,
  so the people are deprived even of their final human right.
  Mourning is completely banned.''

  Shell has its own armed police force, which has been responsible
  for acts of repression.

  Mitee urged solidarity activists to pressure the Australian
  government to take action against Nigeria at the October CHOGM
  meeting. Mitee has been lobbying Commonwealth countries for
  Nigeria's expulsion but has been disappointed at the response. He
  has also called for sanctions against oil exports from Nigeria.

  ``When the Commonwealth took the decision to suspend Nigeria
  after Ken Saro-Wiwa's murder, they said that unless the
  dictatorship respected human rights, released political prisoners
  and returned Nigeria to democracy within two years, they would be
  expelled.

  ``That two years has ended! Even though Commonwealth governments
  I have met with all agree with me that things are getting worse,
  they are not prepared do to anything. It is because it would pit
  them in a struggle against one of the world's most influential
  and profitable companies.''

  Mitee also encouraged activists to think of ways to hit Shell's
  profits. He reminded them of the success of Greenpeace's Shell
  boycott in protest at its plan to scuttle the Brent Spar oil
  platform in the North Sea.

  ``The distance between the Niger delta and Sydney is only as far
  as the nearest Shell service station or shop that carries that
  symbol. The only thing that will make Shell move is when their
  profits are affected. These people only think about profits and
  money.''

  First posted on the Pegasus conference greenleft.news by
  Green Left Weekly. Correspondence and hard copy subsciption
  inquiries: greenleft@peg.apc.org