FNM Call to Action aagainst Shell Oil (8/6/978)

  Free Nigeria Movement
  P.O. Box 441395
  Indianapolis, IN 46244
  Phone/Fax (3170216-4590
  Email: FNM@ix.netcom.com
  Listserv: Maiser@listserv.butler.edu, text of message "SUBSCRIBE
  FREENIGERIA"
  Radio Station:	Voice of Free Nigeria (VoFN) 11.680 kHz, every Saturday
  at 1900Hrs GMT (8:OOpm Nigerian Time)

  "Nigeria; Nazi Germany of the 90s"
  																							-Ibrahim H. Muhammed

  For Immediate Release
  (Please distribute widely)

  Urgent action needed to prevent the City of Oakland Unified School
  District Board from accepting a $2,000,000 endowment from Shell Oil

  Contact:  Nasiru Ikharo at (317)216-4590 or FNM@ix.netcom.com

  Wednesday, August 6th 1997

  		The board members of the City of Oakland Unified School district are
  set to vote today on whether to accept a $100,000 scholarship fund for
  the "Shell Oakland Scholars Program" and a $2,000,000 endowment for
  the "Shell Youth Training Academy".

  		The Free Nigeria Movement strongly opposes this award, which is seen
  primarily as a method of projecting a positive public image by Shell
  Oil in the Bay Area. Today (8/6/97), members of the Free Nigeria
  Movement, as well as other friends of Nigeria, will be picketing the
  School Board Meeting, as well as presenting their argument before the
  board.

  		It can be recalled that the City of Oakland Council, was the very
  first city in the United States to pass binding sanctions against the
  despotic and illegitimate regime of General Sanni Abacha of Nigeria. A
  move which cost Shell Oil a lot of revenue and negative publicity.

  	Even thought the school board is independent of the city council, its
  decision will still directly affect the city of Oakland, where
  majority of the children are enrolled in the public school system.

  	If it possible, please join us in picketing tonight, the venue is the
  Paul Robeson Building, located at 1025 2nd Avenue Oakland. All
  participants are expected to meet in front of the building at 6:50pm
  Oakland time, from where the picketing is expected to commence. If you
  turn up, please bring your whistles, signs and other related picketing
  materials.

  	If you can't turn up, please call the Oakland School Board, and ask
  the board members to reject Shell's gifts. The number to call is
  (510)879-8199, and the board members are:

  Robert Spencer, Kenneth Rice, Lucella Harrison, Jean Quan, Noel Gallo,
  Toni Cook, and Jason Hodge.

  		Below is an article that appeared in today's copy (8/6/97)  of the
  Oakland Tribune.

  ------

  http://www.cyberia-ang.com/webnews/tribune2/o_a_c_t1bs106.htm

  School vote pits boycott, bounty

     Activists oppose Shell Oil funding of student programs in Oakland

     Wednesday, August 06, 1997

     By
     Jonathan Schorr

     STAFF WRITER

     OAKLAND -- The Oakland school board faces a protest tonight over
  proposed
     partnerships worth more than $2 million with Shell Oil, which has
  been linked
     to environmental damage and political repression in Nigeria.

     The cities of Oakland and Berkeley are boycotting Shell and other
  companies
     doing business with Nigeria because of human rights abuses there.
  But the city
     boycott does not affect the school board.

     At tonight's meeting, the school board will consider two proposals:
  creation of
     the Shell Youth Training Academy, where students will learn
  business skills,
     and the Shell Oakland Scholars Program.

     The $100,000 scholarships were awarded last month, and the planning
  for the
     academy is well under way. Shell values the training center at $2
  million.

     Tonight, activists from the Nigerian community are expected to
  oppose
     accepting the money, which they consider a public relations ploy to
  restore
     Shell's reputation. Human rights activists have linked Shell with
  the 1995
     execution of dissident playwright Ken Saro-Wiwa and other abuses,
  and
     Saro-Wiwa's brother has sued Shell over the death. Some have called
  for a
     boycott of Shell.

     "What audacity of Shell to come here under the guise of a public
  relations
     campaign to counter our boycott, which is gaining ground," said
  Tunde
     Okorodudu of Oakland, who is president of the Free Nigeria
  Movement. "I know
     they want money, but they shouldn't take money from the devil."

     Okorodudu, who has three children in the Oakland public schools,
  said the board
     should refuse the partnerships "on a moral ground ... but I realize
  it is going to
     be a difficult assignment." MB-1

     Indeed, the agreements seem likely to pass. Several board members
  Tuesday said
     they were not aware of the political issues surrounding Shell, and
  said they
     would vote in favor of the agreement.

     "I'm here to educate kids," said board member Bob Spencer. "People
  didn't elect
     me to the school board to make judgments about corporate behavior.
  That's for
     human rights activists to do. ... I'm willing to partner with
  anybody who will
     lend a hand."

     School Superintendent Carolyn Getridge, who also was unaware of the
     controversy surrounding Shell Oil, called the company "a true
  partner in
     education to this community."

     Board member Toni Cook, however, said she would look into the
  issue, and
     would consider voting no. "We have to be consistent in the morality
  and ethics
     that we teach young people," she said.

     Shell's American representatives would not discuss the activities
  of their parent
     company, Royal Dutch Shell, in Nigeria. But they argued it would be
  a loss for
     children if the board turned down its largess.

     "I don't think that makes sense," said Robert Russ, regional
  manager of
     community relations for Shell. "You're going to say to the needy
  kids in
     Oakland, 'Don't take Shell's money because of a political issue?"'

     He said Shell was offering the partnerships because it saw a need
  for greater
     community involvement after the 1992 Los Angeles riots. Shell has
  established
     training and scholarship programs in Los Angeles similar to the
  ones under
     consideration in Oakland.

     "We need to be a part of (the Oakland) community and we need to
  give back and
     be a solution to the problems," Russ said.

     In a statement, Shell's Nigerian subsidiary defended itself from
  the allegations
     made by human rights activists. The company said it had interceded
  with the
     Nigerian government not to execute Saro-Wiwa, and had not
  "devastated the
     (Nigerian) environment."

     It confirmed it buys guns for Nigerian police who guard its plants,
  which it said
     all oil companies are required to do, and said the last purchase
  was 15 years ago.

                    © 1997 Alameda Newspapers, Inc.
                         All rights reserved

Title: School vote pits boycott, bounty