[Am-info] Re: Recycled
John J. Urbaniak
jjurban@attglobal.net
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:13:43 -0400
felmon davis wrote:
>On Friday 29 October 2004 01:04 pm, John J. Urbaniak wrote:
>
>
>>As I said, you are being irrational. I'll pray for you.
>>
>>John
>>
>>
>
>sounds good.
>
>what is the source of your information (about Syria, WMD, etc.)? is there
>something on-line I can look at? you've mentioned this before and I would
>very much like to read about it.
>
Well, I just did a google search on Jordan chemical
Here are a few links:
1. BBC
Jordan 'was chemical bomb target'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3635381.stm
*
Al-Qaeda-linked terrorists planned a chemical attack on Jordan's spy
headquarters that could have killed 20,000 people,
officials have said.
*Earlier this week King Abdullah said a massive attack had been thwarted
by a series of arrests, but named no target.
*
...
*The plot was reportedly hatched by al-Qaeda suspect Abu-Musab al-Zarqawi.
2. CNN
Jordan says major al Qaeda plot disrupted
Authorities: Chemical cloud would have been released in Amman
Monday, April 26, 2004 Posted: 3:54 PM EDT (1954 GMT)
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/04/26/jordan.terror/
3. adamyoshida Blog - admittedly, a conservative site
Monday, April 19, 2004
The Jordan Chemical Plot
http://www.adamyoshida.com/2004/04/jordan-chemical-plot.html
When the history of the Iraq War is ultimately written the major
criticism of President Bush may not be that he moved too soon, but that
he waited too long. He had the best of intentions, of course. Prime
Minister Blair and Secretary Powell, among others, thought it was best
to go through the UN. So did American public opinion. So did opposition
Democrats and much of the American foreign policy establishment. There
was no need to, “rush to war,” the opponents of conflict repeatedly
assured Americans. But they were wrong.
After David Kay, the former head of the Iraqi Survey Group (the
organization charged with leading the search for Saddam’s weapons)
resigned and declared that he was unable to find any weapons of mass
destruction, the media jumped all over his remarks to discredit the Bush
Administration and imply that the weapons were nothing more than the
fabrication of a “neo-con cabal.” What they very scrupulously ignored
were Dr. Kay’s remarks as to what he thought had happened to at least
some of those weapons: they were transferred to Syria.
Dr. Kay told Britain’s Daily Telegraph that, “we know from some of the
interrogations of former Iraqi officials that a lot of material went to
Syria before the war, including some components of Saddam's WMD
programme.” According to some reports, Iraqi WMD crossed over into Syria
at the Al Qaim border crossing in January and February of 2003. We
didn’t move too soon: we waited too long.
=================
And doing a similar search on Syria weapons Iraq
I got the following sites:
1. Washington Times - I know, I know, nowhere near as prestigious as the
New York Times (hah!)
U.S. probe focuses on Syria weapons
By Bill Gertz
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
http://www.washtimes.com/national/20030916-113346-3232r.htm
The U.S. government is investigating intelligence reports that Iraq sent
weapons to Syria to hide them from U.N. inspectors and coalition troops
in Iraq, a senior State Department official said yesterday.
2. The Telegraph (I don't know what this is, but it's a British publication)
Saddam's WMD hidden in Syria, says Iraq survey chief
By Con Coughlin
(Filed: 25/01/2004)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/01/25/wirq25.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/01/25/ixnewstop.html
David Kay, the former head of the coalition's hunt for Iraq's weapons of
mass destruction, yesterday claimed that part of Saddam Hussein's secret
weapons programme was hidden in Syria.
3. International Herald Tribune
Official suggests Iraq hid weapons in Syria
*Douglas Jehl* NYT
Wednesday, October 29, 2003
*Head of spy agency points to signs of heavy travel before U.S. invasion
http://www.iht.com/articles/115494.html
*
*WASHINGTON*
<http://www.iht.com/cgi-bin/generic.cgi?template=articlesearch.tmpl&dt=articleLocation&location=WASHINGTON>
The director of a top American spy agency said Tuesday that he believed
that material from Iraq's illicit weapons program was transported into
Syria and perhaps other countries as part of an effort by Iraqis to
disperse and destroy evidence immediately before the recent war.
.
The official, James Clapper Jr., a retired air force lieutenant general,
said satellite images showing a heavy flow of traffic from Iraq into
Syria just before the American invasion in March had led him to believe
"unquestionably" that illicit weapons material was moved outside Iraq.
.
"I think people below the Saddam- Hussein-and-his-sons level saw what
was coming and decided the best thing to do was to destroy and
disperse," Clapper, who heads the National Imagery and Mapping Agency,
said at a breakfast with reporters.
.
Clapper said he was providing a personal assessment. But other American
intelligence officials said his theory was among those being pursued in
Iraq by David Kay, who is heading what has so far been an unsuccessful
American effort to uncover the weapons cited by the Bush administration
as the major reason for going to war against Iraq.
.
Clapper's comments come as the CIA is preparing to mount a vigorous
defense of its prewar assertions that Iraq possessed chemical and
biological weapons and was seeking to reconstitute its nuclear program.
The director of central intelligence, George Tenet, has written a
private letter to the chairman and vice chairman of the Senate Select
Committee on Intelligence saying the agency will be ready by late
November to provide a detailed assessments for members of the panel. In
the letter, whose contents were described by several intelligence
officials on Tuesday, Tenet proposed that a team headed by John
McLaughlin, the deputy director of central intelligence, provide a
briefing for the committee sometime after Nov. 20, when the agency's own
internal review is expected to be completed. The Senate and House
intelligence committees are preparing critical reports about the
intelligence work done on Iraq, with congressional officials saying that
the CIA overstated Iraq's potential nuclear capability in the months
before the war. But the CIA has objected vigorously to that assessment,
saying that on the basis of evidence available before the American
invasion in March, it would have been foolhardy for the agency to have
reached any other conclusion.
.
Clapper echoed that defense on Tuesday, but in offering what he called
his own "educated guess" about what happened to any illicit Iraqi
weapons, he went beyond what any other senior American intelligence
official has said publicly. "I think probably in the few months running
up to the onset of the conflict, I think there was probably an intensive
effort to disperse into private hands, to bury it, and to move it
outside the country's borders," Clapper said.
.
He said he believed that "at the level below the senior leadership" of
Iraq there were officials who "saw what was coming and went to
extraordinary lengths to dispose of the evidence."
.
Kay, a former UN weapons inspector who is serving in Iraq as a special
adviser to Tenet, issued an interim report earlier this month
acknowledging the American failure so far to find illicit weapons or
weapons material in Iraq. Kay has cautioned that his search is far from
complete, and senior intelligence officials say they still expect him to
find weapons material. But Kay has said his team is considering a number
of theories, including the prospect that Iraq moved weapons material to
other countries and that weapons and other weapons material were
destroyed before the war, and perhaps in the period immediately
preceding it.
.
Clapper's agency is responsible in particular for interpreting satellite
intelligence. He said the heavy volume of traffic leading from Iraq to
Syria before and during the American-led invasion had convinced him
"inferentially" that illicit weapons material had been smuggled outside
the country.
.
He declined to answer a question about whether he believed that illicit
Iraqi weapons material was smuggled into any other country, including Iran.
.
The New York Times
* < < Back to Start of Article*
*Head of spy agency points to signs of heavy travel before U.S. invasion*
*WASHINGTON*
<http://www.iht.com/cgi-bin/generic.cgi?template=articlesearch.tmpl&dt=articleLocation&location=WASHINGTON>
The director of a top American spy agency said Tuesday that he believed
that material from Iraq's illicit weapons program was transported into
Syria and perhaps other countries as part of an effort by Iraqis to
disperse and destroy evidence immediately before the recent war.
.
The official, James Clapper Jr., a retired air force lieutenant general,
said satellite images showing a heavy flow of traffic from Iraq into
Syria just before the American invasion in March had led him to believe
"unquestionably" that illicit weapons
>
>Felmon
>
>_______________________________________________
>Am-info mailing list
>Am-info@lists.essential.org
>http://lists.essential.org/mailman/listinfo/am-info
>
>
>