pharmaceutical industry influence in psychiatric research

  Dr. Goldman is looking for information regarding pharmaceutical
  companies and psychiatric research.  jl

  Subject: pharmaceutical industry influence
     Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 09:37:00 GMT+5
     From: "Charles R. Goldman" <cg@npsy.ceb.sc.edu>

  As a psychiatrist, I have become increasingly alarmed at the amount
  of influence pharmaceutical companies have on psychiatric research
  and education.  It goes beyond mere conflict of interest; there is
  much evidence that academic leaders as well as practitioners and
  professional societies are becoming drug promoters, to the detriment
  of our patients.  I am working on some articles and presentations on
  this topic.  Do you have any information about the amount of
  drug company money that goes to academic departments, and how this
  has changed over the last 10 years?  Any suggestions?  (Check out the
  Moore article in the December Washingtonian.)
  Charles R. Goldman, M.D.
  Professor and Director, Public Psychiatry Training Program
  Department of Neuropsychiatry and Behavioral Science
  University of South Carolina School of Medicine
  3555 Harden Street Extension
  Columbia, South Carolina  29203
     Phone:       803-434-4250
     FAX:         803-434-4277