Fwd: YOUR personal information in Lexis database

  Thought you all might be interested in this posting which was forwarded to me
  by xxxx.frxxxx on another list. It has some interesting comments, on P-Trax,
  which seem, on the surface, to collide with some of the information a fellow
  got on himself, which I covered in this mornings posting about NPR, and with
  statements by Lexis-Nexis. I guess this fellow has his facts straight, but
  until I see a brochure, I am not sure what to believe.

  Alex

  In a message dated 96-09-19 18:49:15 EDT, michael.or.amanda.devlin@pobox.com
  (MikeDev) writes:

  <<  >From: Rick Adams <adamsr@dmci.net>
   > >To: Multiple recipients of list <drctalk@drcnet.org>
   > >Subject: Re: YOUR personal information in Lexis database
   > >
   > >At 08:38 AM 9/19/96 -0400, Bob Ramsey wrote:
   > >>
   > >>Your name, social security number, current address, previous
   > >>addresses, mother's maiden name, birth date and other personal
   > >>information are now available to anyone with a credit card through a
   > >>new Lexis database called P-Trax. As I am sure you are aware, this
   > >>information could be used to commit credit card fraud or otherwise
   > >>allow someone else to use your identity.
   > >
   > >        This is typical net hysteria.
   > >
   > >        The P-Trax database (which is available on CD-ROM) contains only
   > >your name, address, telephone number, D.O.B., and previous addresses for
   2
   > >yrs. There is NO information concerning your SS#, mother's maiden name,
   etc.

   What you are not telling us is that it did at one time.  Less then a month
   ago, Lexis announced there were too many complaints and they removed the
   SS#.  So if you want net-hestaria I just told you how it can work in our
   favor.

   And according to CNN it will be on-line very soon, and is in a few places.
   In fact, on one TV network, I saw the anchor pull up some information on
   himself.  This was before the SS# removal.  So if it's only net-hysteria,
   then the guy logged on sure was a good faker.

   Michael Devlin
   dlparis@cris.com
   http://www.cris.com/~Dlparis/
   http://www.cris.com/~Dlparis/Catholic/Church/Roque.shtml
   FDC President of Southern Calif Park operations

   "Goodness! When I get home I shall write a book about this place"
   Alice in Wonderland