Supreme Court Decision

  I've finally found a chance to sit and read through both the majority
  opinion in Jaffee v. Redmond, the recent Supreme Court case involving
  the psychotherapist-patient privilege, and the dissent by Justices
  Scalia and Rehnquist.  I would like to add the following points to
  the discussion of the case on this list:

  1.   This was *not* a criminal case, and its impact is not restricted
  to criminal cases.  The case involved a civil lawsuit seeking damages
  for the violation of both state (Illinois wrongful death) and federal
  (civil rights) statutes.

  2.   As the opinion noted, all states currently have some form of a
  psychotherapist-patient privilege.  This case took the extra step of
  recognizing a similar privilege for cases brought in federal courts
  under federal laws (like the Section 1983 civil rights statute at
  issue here).

  3.  The majority opinion *strongly supported* the privilege.
  Dwelling on Justice Scalia's dissent in an effort to understand the
  impact of the ruling is not very fruitful.  As others have pointed
  out, "We won;  they lost."

  4.  This ruling supports the average person's understanding that your
  medical records should not be used against you in cases that are not
  of your own choosing.  This is distinct from the traditional concept,
  recognized in every state, that *if you put your medical condition in
  issue*, you cannot rely on the privilege to deprive the court of
  evidence that will shed light on your claims.  While there is still
  much that can be done to reduce potential abuses of medical records
  in litigation, there are tools that every lawyer and judge is
  familiar with that can help preserve privacy expectations (like in
  camera hearings and the sealing of court records).  It is important,
  however, that we all understand that if we sue someone for an injury
  (as in, "Your car hit my car and now I've got whiplash and lower back
  pain and carpal tunnel syndrome, plus I can't sleep at night any
  more"), we cannot expect the other side to simply confess to all
  wrongdoing and pay everything we ask for.  I've seen far too many
  cases of people claiming all kinds of injuries stemming from a simple
  incident because -- guess what? -- they might get a free ride from the
  jury.

  In sum, I think that the law of confidentiality was greatly
  strengthened by Jaffee v. Redmond.  That doesn't mean there isn't
  still a lot of work to do!

  Meg H. O'Donnell
  General Counsel
  Vermont Health Care Authority