Re: Citizen Access to Copies of Medical Records Privacy Legislation

  On Mon, 17 Jun 1996, Dick Mills wrote:
  > Gee, I presume it wasn't the bill mentioned below, from Computer
  > Industry Daily.  :-)

     Not at all.  The bill was about medical records.  The hearing was
  friday.  The staffer for the subcommittee on this bill is Mark Ungerford,
  at 202/225-5147.  This morning the subcommittee could not give me a
  bill number, and I don't know if the bill has been introduced or not,
  although it is clearly being circulated to industry lobbyists. jamie
    jamie

  >                   Online FOIA Bill Resurfaces
  >    The Senate will again consider bringing the Freedom of
  >    Information Act into the computer age.  A bill requiring
  >    federal agencies to provide records online is coming up
  >    for a second vote.  The bill previously won Senate approval,
  >    but died in the House.  Representative Steve Horn will
  >    reintroduce the bill in the House soon.  The intent of the bill
  >    is to amend the FOIA "so that agencies use technology to make
  >    government more accessible and accountable to its citizens."
  >    The bill runs counter to the present situation in which agencies,
  >    not the information requester, choose the format for releasing
  >    information.  The bill is supported by 23 organizations including
  >    the American Library Association, OMB Watch, and Public Citizen.
  >
  > --
  > Dick Mills +1(518)395-5154    O-   http://www.pti-us.com
  > AKA dmills@albany.net      http://www.albany.net/~dmills

  James Love / love@tap.org / P.O. Box 19367, Washington, DC 20036