Re: Rx-NYS

  At 11:54 PM 1/26/96 -0500, Ann Dellarocco wrote:

  >  Can someone please confirm to me that my feeling that I am willing
  >  to supply my age, but NOT my date of birth, is and should be
  >  acceptable under the proviso of the above paragraph.  Nowhere
  >  does it say BIRTHDATE and I believe this is an INVASION OF MY
  >  PRIVACY to get me into a computer.

  That was my impression precisely as I read the exerpt from the reg you
  posted.  As for suggestions on how to proceed the next time this arises,
  which it undoubtedly will,  how about simply providing the offending
  pharmacist with a copy of the regulation the next time you fill your script
  (or better, before you need the refill)?  If this fails, perhaps speaking
  with the pharmacy manager or someone else in a position of authority will
  obtain some results for you.   Third, if the pharmacist, pharmacy and store
  persist, simply ask for their names and license number (those who are
  licensed pharmacists, techs or whatever they are called these days) and file
  a formal complant with the Board of Pharmacy.  As a licensed person, I can
  assure you nothing gets my attention quicker than a certified letter from
  either of the state bars to which I belong.  Example:  I received one
  yesterday and my first thought was which former client (I no longer reside
  in the state sending me the certified letter) is complaining at this point.
  Turns out my annual license fee had been misplaced and the letter was to let
  me know I was not yet licensed for the year.

  While some may view the step of a formal complaint to the Board as an
  extreme measure.  As I recall, however, this issue is one you have mentioned
  on at least two occasions--and therefore of some importance to you
  personally, to others who have the same unreasonable requests made of them
  and to all of us for whom the issue of privacy is important, no matter what
  the context and how seemingly innocuous the intrusion.

  --
  Patrick Riceci, J.D., LL.M.
  riceci@syncentral.com