ISPs to be charged IEXC access fees?

  Mike Bilow wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

   MB> See:

   MB> Linkname: CNNfn - FCC dials up reform of local-access fees -
   MB> Dec. 24, 1996

   MB> According to a minor comment at the end of the story, the
   MB> FCC is now asking for public comment on whether ISPs should
   MB> be treated like long distance companies for purposes of
   MB> local access fee charges.

  The FCC has posted a news release on this subject at

     http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Common_Carrier/News_Releases/nrcc6088.txt

  and the full text in both ASCII and WordPerfect 5.1 for Windows formats at

     http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Common_Carrier/Notices/fcc96488.txt
     http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Common_Carrier/Notices/fcc96488.wp

  The FCC seems quite cautious, if not outright terrified, realizing that messing
  with the Internet too much could kill it.  In fact, the FCC very much seems to
  understand the real problem:

          288.  We tentatively conclude that information service providers
     should not be required to pay interstate access charges as currently
     constituted.  As we have explained throughout this Notice, the existing
     access charge system includes non-cost-based rates and inefficient rate
     structures.  We see no reason to extend this regime to an additional class
     of users, especially given the potentially detrimental effects on the
     growth of the still-evolving information services industry.  Although our
     original decision in 1983 to treat ESPs as end users rather than carriers
     was explained as a temporary exemption, we tentatively conclude that the
     current pricing structure should not be changed so long as the existing
     access charge system remains in place. The mere fact that providers of
     information services use incumbent LEC networks to receive calls from their
     customers does not mean that such providers should be subject to an
     interstate regulatory system designed for circuit-switched interexchange
     voice telephony. We seek comment on this tentative conclusion.

  Comments in response to the inquiry are due February 21, 1997 and reply
  comments are due March 24, 1997.  The FCC will accept informal filings by
  Internet e-mail; see http://www.fcc.gov/isp.html for instructions.  Internet
  e-mail filings must contain the proper caption code in the subject line, in
  this case "CC Docket No. 96-263."

  The full official caption for the Notice of Inquiry is "Usage of the Public
  Switched Network by Information Service and Internet Access Providers, Common
  Carrier Bureau Docket No. 96-263."

  -- Mike

  Bilow Computer Science   | +1 401 944 3937 (voice) | Michael S. Bilow
  Forty Plantations        | +1 401 944 7966 (fax)   | President
  Cranston, RI 02920-5554  | +1 401 944 8498 (BBS)   | mikebw@ids.net  (Internet)
  PGP Public Key fingerprint  =  4B 06 23 FB 3E 24 A5 24  14 B5 A2 14 96 73 B4 B2