Re: IP: Pac Bell says Net use may collapse phone system

  At 08:28 AM 10/31/96 -0500, Mike Bilow wrote:

  >Note that Marketplace has an e-mail address: market@usc.edu.

  Also note that Marketplace isn't produced by NPR (npr.org), but
  is so far as I understand distributed by Public Radio International
  (PRI), formerly called APR, which is sort of NPR's competitor.

  NPR mostly produces its own material with help from member stations.
  PRI distributes material produced elsewhere; in this case, USC in LA.

  Back to the topic:  I've been working on a detailed rebuttal of the
  Bell Atlantic paper to the FCC that demands IXC treatment for ISPs.
  PacBell is working the same beat as BA but hits the press harder.  What
  can the ISP and ISP user community do to counter this?  The Bell's facts
  literally don't add up, but the press doesn't have the details and doesn't
  really care about accuracy, if it looks like a story.

  ISPs really need a strong trade organization.  I suppose that's the
  trouble with a business whose culture grew out of a bunch of tech weenies
  designing a system whose internal organization is only a shade less than
  anarchy.

  Also, does anyone have a pointer to the PacBell paper on line?
  ___
  Fred R. Goldstein      fgoldstein@bbn.com
  BBN Corp.              Cambridge MA  USA    +1 617 873 3850