Free Internet Email

  Thanks very much for taking the time to write to me directly, and for
  taking an interest in Juno.  Although when Juno began operations I was
  able to read and respond to all the messages I received more or less
  instantly, the (gratifyingly) high volume of mail that comes in these days
  makes such quick turnaround impossible.  Occasionally, it takes a few days
  to respond to messages; in the meantime, this automatic reply is intended
  to let you know that your message was received.

  While the sheer volume of incoming mail means that I am not able to respond
  personally to every message I receive, we do save all such messages and
  review them regularly.  If you are writing to report a serious complaint or
  problem, rest assured that I will look into it and have someone contact you
  shortly.  Someone here will also respond promptly if you posed any specific
  questions that aren't answered by our list of frequently asked questions,
  which you will find at the end of this document.

  If you wrote to report a technical problem with Juno, please contact
  our technical support department at support@juno.com or at
  1-800-JUNO-889.  One of our technical support representatives will be
  happy to help you.

  Again, many thanks for taking the time to write to me.  I hope you are
  enjoying Juno, and look forward to reading your comments.

  Regards,

  Charles Ardai
  President
  Juno Online Services, L.P.

  FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

  Contents:

   1. What is Juno?
   2. When will Juno be available?
   3. Is Juno really free?
   4. What about phone charges?
   5. How can I get the software?
   6. Can I download a copy of the software?
   7. Can I make copies of the software for my friends?
   8. What features does Juno have?
   9. What computer hardware do I need?
  10. What types of computers does Juno run on?
  11. Will you have a Macintosh version of Juno?
  12. Where can I use Juno from?
  13. Who can I send e-mail to? Just other Juno members?
  14. Does Juno give me Internet access?
  15. Do I need to already have Internet access to use Juno?
  16. Can I use Juno through my existing Internet account?
  17. Can I use Juno over ISDN?
  18. What will the advertising be like?
  19. How can I advertise on Juno?
  20. What will you do with the information in my member profile?
  21. Will my Juno account be private?
  22. Should I be worried about contracting a computer virus when I send
      and receive e-mail through Juno?
  23. Can I invest in Juno?
  24. Can my business use Juno as its e-mail service?
  25. Do you have a web page?

  1. What is Juno?

  Juno is a completely free Internet e-mail service.  You can use Juno to
  exchange e-mail with anyone in the world who has an Internet e-mail
  address, and because the service is advertiser-supported, you never have
  to pay Juno anything.

  To use Juno, all you need is a PC equipped with Microsoft Windows and a
  modem. We'll give you the software you need and provide a local or
  toll-free telephone number for your computer to dial into. Within minutes
  of installing Juno on your computer, you'll be ready to start using
  e-mail.

  2. When will Juno be available?

  Juno is now in the first phase of its controlled national roll-out. To
  ensure that the deployment of Juno's computer systems and telephone
  network keeps pace with the rapid growth of its member base, we are
  filling requests for the Juno software in a controlled fashion. For the
  next month or so, only a limited number of copies of the software will be
  sent out each day. (We appreciate your patience with this temporary
  inconvenience.)

  3.  Is Juno really free?

  Yes. It's a little like network television. You don't have to pay CBS to
  watch the nightly news, or NBC to watch "Seinfeld". We believe this is the
  way it should be with e-mail as well.

  Juno charges no monthly fees, no hourly fees, no membership fees, no
  per-message fees, and no fees of any other sort. Our sponsors pay, so you
  don't have to.

  And unlike other online services, Juno's free offer doesn't go away after
  five hours or ten hours or sixty hours, and it isn't contingent on your
  buying anything. It's not a free trial. It's free, period.

  4.  What about phone charges?

  When you use Juno, your computer communicates with our central computers
  over your telephone line.  We provide several hundred local telephone
  numbers for our members to use and expect to offer even more in the
  future.

  5.  How can I get the software?

  Call 1-800-654-JUNO. We'll take your name and address and send you a free
  copy of the Juno software as soon as possible. Alternatively, you can
  e-mail
  your name and address to signup@juno.com.

  You'll also be able to get the software in a number of other ways. By the
  end of the year, we expect Juno to be pre-installed on the hard drives of
  many new computers, "bundled" with a variety of software and hardware
  products, distributed in a variety of stores, promoted through mail order
  catalogues, and otherwise made available to the broadest possible audience.

  6.  Can I download a copy of the software?

  Juno is now in the first phase of its controlled national roll-out. To
  ensure that the deployment of Juno's computer systems and telephone
  network keeps pace with the rapid growth of its member base, we are
  filling requests for the Juno software in a controlled rolled fashion. For
  the
  next month or so, only a limited number of copies of the software will be
  sent out each day. (We appreciate your patience with this temporary
  inconvenience.) Once this first phase is over, you will be able to
  download a copy off the Internet. You'll be able to find it on our
  web site -- http://www.juno.com/ -- as well as on a number of other Web
  sites and in many software libraries.

  7.  Can I make copies of the software for my friends?

  Absolutely. Once you have the Juno software, we encourage you to copy it
  as often as you want and give copies to as many people as you think might
  be interested. The more people you know who have e-mail addresses, the
  more useful e-mail is to you. And, of course, the more members Juno has,
  the better it is for us. By giving Juno to your friends (or your family,
  or business colleagues), you also help us keep our member acquisition
  costs low. This is important for us, since it means we can devote more of
  our resources to keeping e-mail for free for everyone. We appreciate your
  helping us spread the word about Juno and get copies of our software into
  as many people's hands as possible.

  8.  What features does Juno have?

  Juno has a point-and-click interface that has been designed to be easy for
  anyone to use, even if they've never used a computer before, as well as
  full-featured enough to satisfy experienced computer users. In addition to
  the basic features that all good e-mail services offer (such as tools for
  replying to messages you receive, forwarding messages you receive to
  someone else, and printing out copies of messages), Juno also offers:

  o a spell-check function
  o an address book which can automatically store the addresses of everyone
    who sends you e-mail
  o customizable mailing lists o customizable folders for saving your e-mail
  o your choice of your own e-mail address (so you can be 'john@juno.com'
    rather than something like'12345.678@domain.com')
  o the ability to personalize Juno to use the font and colors you prefer
  o the ability to create accounts for multiple users on the same computer
    from a single copy of the Juno software
  o technical support, in case you have difficulty connecting for the first
    time

  These are only some of Juno's features, of course, and we'll continue to
  add more as our members let us know what they want.

  9.  What computer hardware do I need?

  You need to have a PC-compatible computer (either a 386, a 486, or a
  Pentium) that is equipped with a 9600-baud modem.  You need to be running
  Microsoft Windows version 3.1 or higher. (Windows95 works fine.) You also
  need to have 4 megabytes of RAM and 15 megabytes free on your hard drive,
  and you need to have a mouse.

  10.  What types of computers does Juno run on?

  Juno runs on all PC-compatible computers that are equipped with a modem
  and are running Microsoft Windows. You can also use Juno on computers
  running the OS/2 operating system if you use the OS/2 Windows emulator,
  and on Macintosh computers that are running the SoftWindows Windows
  emulator. We don't recommend that you run Juno under an emulator, though,
  since Juno's performance may suffer.

  11.  Will you have a Macintosh version of Juno?

  Not right away, but we do plan to develop one in the future (having heard
  from hundreds of Mac owners who are eager to use Juno). Once our launch
  of the PC version of Juno is complete, we plan to start work on the Mac
  version.

  12.  Where can I use Juno from?

  You can use Juno from anywhere in the continental United States, as well
  as Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Today, there
  is no international version of Juno for use by people outside the United
  States, but in the future we may make Juno available in other countries.
  (If there is a particular country from which you would like to use Juno,
  please drop us a note to let us know.) Until then, our members have to be
  in the U.S. to use Juno.

  Note that if you are using Juno in the United States you can exchange
  e-mail with people anywhere in the world. It's just being a Juno member --
  not communicating with Juno members -- that is limited to the U.S.

  13.  Who can I send e-mail to? Just other Juno members?

  You can send mail to anyone in the world who has an Internet e-mail
  address. This includes everyone on all the major online services such as
  America Online, CompuServe, and Prodigy; everyone who buys Internet access
  from a service provider such as Netcom or AT&T's WorldNet; everyone who
  has an Internet e-mail address through work or school; and, of course,
  everyone who is a member of Juno.

  14.  Does Juno give me Internet access?

  Your messages will go out over the Internet, meaning that you will be able
  to send mail to and receive mail from anyone on the Internet or any of the
  commercial online services (such as America Online, CompuServe, and
  Prodigy). However, your computer will not be connected directly to the
  Internet, and Juno can't be used for online activities other than e-mail,
  such as "surfing" the World Wide Web.

  We believe that e-mail is the only fundamental and indispensable tool in
  the online world. This is borne out by the fact that there are millions of
  people who use the Internet regularly for e-mail but never for anything
  else. We may offer other, more specialized services at some point, but for
  now we're focusing on providing the one Internet tool that everyone needs
  -- e-mail -- completely free.

  15.  Do I need to already have Internet access to use Juno?

  No. Juno gives you everything you need to send and receive e-mail over the
  Internet. All you have to do is install our software and then dial
  directly into our central computers with your modem.

  16.  Can I use Juno through my existing Internet account?

  No. To use Juno, you have to get a copy of the custom software we've
  developed and then dial into our central computers with your modem.
  However, we'll be glad to send you the software for free, and we're
  confident that you'll find it easy and pleasant to use. If you're one of
  the millions of people who use their Internet accounts solely for e-mail,
  you might find that Juno fills all your needs, in which case you'll be
  able to cancel your other account and stop paying your access provider's
  monthly bill.  Even if you use the Internet for purposes other than e-mail
  and decide to keep your other account, we hope you'll get your e-mail
  through Juno, since that allows you to save your costly online hours for
  other activities and to keep your e-mail address when you switch from one
  access provider to another.

  17.  Can I use Juno over ISDN?

  Today, Juno does not provide, or operate over, ISDN connections. However,
  ordinary telephone modems are adequate for using Juno, since you only
  connect to our central computers for the relatively brief period of time
  it takes to download or upload your mail (along with any advertising we
  want to show you). You read and write your messages off-line, and your
  messages are stored on your own computer; this means that you can access
  these messages more quickly than over any telephone connection, even an
  ISDN connection.

  If you have an ISDN line and wish to use Juno, you can do so by hooking up
  a standard analog modem to an analog port provided by your ISDN equipment.

  18.  What will the advertising be like?

  Advertising is necessary to Juno; it's because we carry advertising that
  we can afford to provide you with e-mail for free. However, our goal is to
  make the advertising on Juno different from the advertising you typically
  see in other media, in ways that should make it more palatable to our
  members and more valuable to our advertisers.

  When you create your Juno account, you will fill out a "Member Profile"
  that will help us determine what subjects you are interested in, what
  advertisements to show you, and what new services you might like to see.
  Not all Juno members will see the same ads: a parent of a young child
  might see an ad for diapers, while an avid skier might see an ad for
  winter vacations. Our goal is to provide our members with information that
  interests them and is relevant to their needs.

  In addition to being "targeted" in this way, the advertising on Juno is
  designed to be visually appealing and interactive, and to not interrupt
  what you are doing.  Most of the ads on Juno will be either "banner" ads,
  which are displayed in the upper right-hand corner of the screen while
  you read and write your e-mail, or "showcase" ads, which appear in a
  separate window when you connect to our central computers to send and
  receive your mail.  We may experiment with other types of advertising as
  well.

  19.  How can I advertise on Juno?

  If you would like to find out about advertising on Juno, call Arlene
  Villareal at 1-800-267-JUNO (1-800-267-5866) or send e-mail to
  advertise@juno.com. A member of our advertising team will get in touch
  with you.

  20. What will you do with the information in my member profile?

  Your Member Profile consists of your answers to roughly twenty questions
  about your tastes, preferences, and interests (as well as certain standard
  demographic traits). We collect this information to help us select which
  advertisements to show each of our members. Using the information in this
  way does not involve sharing the information with our advertisers or with
  any other party.

  We appreciate our Members' concerns about privacy and will treat the
  Member Profile data we collect with care.

  21. Will my Juno account be private?

  Yes, it will -- we don't read the e-mail messages our members send and
  receive (and don't intend to, barring extraordinary circumstances such as
  being required to do otherwise by law). It is up to you, though, to select
  a hard-to-guess password and then to keep it secret, since if someone else
  knows your password it may be possible for him or her to gain access to
  your account. If, for the sake of convenience, you choose a password that
  is easy to guess or select the option of having your computer
  automatically enter your password for you when you use Juno, your account
  may be somewhat less secure, and potentially less private.

  22. Should I be worried about contracting a computer virus when I send
  and receive e-mail through Juno?

  No. Computer viruses are not transmitted through ordinary text e-mail.

  23. Can I invest in Juno?

  Juno is currently a private company, so there is no way to buy stock in
  Juno today. However, it is possible that we will take Juno public at some
  point in the future, and if we do we will certainly let our members know
  about it.

  24. Can my business use Juno as its e-mail service?

  Juno is designed to operate on a single computer equipped with its own
  modem. We do not have a version of Juno designed to operate on an internal
  computer network of the sort you find in many companies (though we may
  develop such a "Juno Pro" version in the future). If your employees each
  have an individual PC and a modem, Juno may well suit your needs. Large
  companies and companies running local-area networks will do better with a
  system designed specifically for their needs.

  If you would like to create a Juno account for use in business, you should
  feel free to do so. One way to set this up is to include both your own
  name and your business' name in your e-mail address. For instance, if your
  name is John Smith and your company is called "Acme", you might select the
  e-mail address "smith.acme@juno.com".

  25. Do you have a web page?

  Yes we do -- please visit the Juno home page at:
          http://www.juno.com/