Re: ISDN Re-Pricing Proposal (fwd)

  Pacific Bell was not able to get enough support for the settlement agreement
  to avoid hearings.  Intel, Compaq, AT&T, Turn, and UCAN opposed the
  settlement.  Yesterday morning Pacific Bell withdrew the settlement
  agreement and has gone back to their application as their position.

  The hearings will be going on over the next two weeks.

  Bob Larribeau
  California ISDN Users' Group

  At 12:47 PM 7/30/96 -0400, you wrote:
  >PacBell news release regarding development in California isdn case.
  >jl
  >

  >> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
  >> July 26, 1996
  >>
  >> FOR MORE INFORMATION:
  >> Scott E. Smith
  >> (415) 394-3624
  >> sesmith@legsf.pacbell.com
  >>
  >> California Telecommuters, Net Surfers Can Look Forward ToAffordable
  >> High-speed Access
  >>
  >> Communications industry & consumer groups, Pacific Bellpropose nation s
  >> most aggressive ISDN rate plan
  >>
  >> San Francisco, July 26, 1996 -- Major communications industry and
  >> consumer groups, and Pacific Bell jointly issued a proposal today that
  >> ensures Californians continue to have ready, affordable access to a
  >> popular high-speed data communications service for telecommuting,
  >> surfing the Internet and other uses.
  >>
  >> The joint proposal, which has been submitted to the California Public
  >> Utilities Commission (CPUC) for its consideration, is aimed at resolving
  >> key customer issues about Pacific Bell s plans to increase rates for its
  >> FasTrakSM ISDN (Integrated Services Digital Network). The plan is
  >> subject to the approval of the CPUC, which is now considering Pacific
  >> Bell s rate request.
  >>
  >> The plan, which the groups consider one of the most aggressive ISDN
  >> pricing plans in the nation, is good news for ISDN customers,
  >> particularly home users and part-time telecommuters. Submission of the
  >> proposal brings one step closer to conclusion weeks of diliberations
  >> among Pacific Bell, the communications industry and consumers. At the
  >> crux of the discussions has been the need to achieve a balance between
  >> the ability of Pacific Bell to provide a robust service and users need
  >> for affordable high-speed data transport to carry a myriad of new
  >> applications.
  >>
  >> Those signing the proposal include the California ISDN Users Group
  >> (CIUG), California Cable Television Association, Jetstream
  >> Communications, Flowpoint, Siemens-Rolm and Pacific Bell.
  >>
  >> Pacific Bell s FasTrak ISDN has 80,000 business and residential users in
  >> California, a market that is doubling in size annually. Because ISDN
  >> operates at speeds many times faster than traditional analog modems and
  >> is affordable, especially for home users, it has become a popular
  >> alternative to modems for such applications as telecommuting and
  >> accessing the Internet.
  >>
  >> Prices Remain Affordable
  >>
  >> Under one of the most significant elements in the proposal, Pacific Bell
  >> would increase the monthly charge of its Home ISDN from $24.50 monthly
  >> to $29.50 and include 200 free hours of off-peak usage. During peak
  >> periods and after customers use up their 200-hours, calls would be
  >> charged at normal voice rates. Daytime calls during the week are three
  >> cents for the first minute and one cent for each additional minute.
  >> Evening, weekend and holiday calls are even less.

> [...]

   Bob Larribeau                           bob@larribeau.com
   ISDN Consultant                         San Francisco