Re: question

  There's another source:
  Hg from chlorine production or use as a catalyst in VCM processes
  such as the one used by Borden in Geismar, LA, which shipped mercuric
  chloride to South Africa's Thor facility, which has contaminated the
  area (so badly that even the US Justice Dept is involved in a
  yet-to-be resolved case).  PPG in Lake Charles also uses tremendous
  amounts of mercury, which has shown up inlocal fish in the Calcasieu
  Estuary.

  Also, in ATSDR's report under "USE" of mercury, they say this:

  Page 299:  "The largest commercial use of mercury in the United States was
  for electrolytic production of chlorine and caustic soda in mercury cells,
  accounting for 35% of domestic consumption. (USGS 1997)."

  Page 300:  Chemical/mining applications:  "Mercury is a catalyst in
  reactions to form polymers, such as vinyl chloride and urethane foams.  The
  preparation of chlorine and caustic soda (NaOH) from brines also uses
  mercury as a catalyst.   In this process, mercury is used as a moving
  cathode to separate sodium and chlorine."

  Page 300:  Other applications:  "Phenylmercuric acetate has been used in
  aqueous systems such as inks, adhesives, and caulking compounds, as a
  catalyst for the manufacture of certain polyurethanes, and as a fungicide
  in seed dressings and interior and exterior paints.)"

  Page 300:  Discontinued applications:  "The use of phenylmercuric acetate
  as a fungicide in interior latex paints was banned in 1990 and in exterior
  paint was banned in 1991.  Both of these bans were prompted because of
  releases of mercury vapors as the paint degraded.  Alkyl mercurial
  compounds were used until the mid-1970s as a treatment to disinfect grain
  seeds.  Most other agricultural applications of mercury compounds in
  bactericides and fungicides have been banned due to the toxicity of
  mercury.  Mercuric nitrate was used in the production of felt hats to
  hydrolyze rabbit fur.  The use of mercury as a wood preservative has ceased
  due to the use of polyurethane."

  They cite the following  companies (some which we note
  make VCM for PVC). "Facilities that Manufacture or Process Mercury":
  (Table 4-1,Page 297)*

  Range of maximum amounts on site in pounds

  Occidental Petroleum Corp.  Muscle Shoals, AL    100,000-999,999
  Occidental Petroleum Corp   Delaware City, DE    100,000-999,000

  Occidental Petroleum Corp.  Deer Park, TX    1,000,000-9,999,999
  (VCM)

  BF GOODRICH  Calvert City, KY     100,000-999,000 (VCM)
  PPG Ind. Inc. Lake Charles, LA     100,000-999,999 (VCM)
  Dow Chemical Co.            Plaquemine, LA       1,000-9,999 (VCM?)
  (Borden)    Geismar, LA          10,000-99,999  VCM

  (The "activities and uses" of the above are "As a chemical processing aid."
  Except for Dow, "As a reactant; As a manufacturing aid."  And for (
  Borden) "Import; For on-site use/processing; As a chemical processing
  aid.")

  *"These data should be used with caution, however, since only certain types
  of facilities are required to report.  Therefore, this is not an exhaustive
  list." (Page 296)

  Perhaps Dr. Bill will explain what Oxy uses so much mercury for?