burning of MSW with non-incinerator (was: RE: Recycling vs Incineration - NewScientist 22/11/97

  >ton of MSW.  In Pakistan where I live (and in many developing countries)
  >trash >burning within residential areas (without any incinerator) is the
  >one of the

  MSW has been burned in North America by simply soaking it in a fuel and
  lighting it up, or with various other low-tech means.  This is not supposed
  to occur anymore.

  In Powell River, some ash piles remain from the "pit burner period".  About
  a dozen samples have been tested.  TEQ ranges from around the detection level
  to as high a 35.0 pg/g.

  Philip Fleischer   philip@prcn.org