more vinyl items with lead -- and a clarification

  quick response to Bill Caroll:

  On Nov. 15 you posted this to the list:

  " Lead in PVC at levels of thousands of ppm may be there as a
  stabilizer. Levels of hundreds of ppm are probably pigments; in the
  low hundreds may be lead from the environment on the article,
  possibly modulated by its point of origin.

  Then, in response to my posting, where I pointed out that the TMA
  just about lied when they issued a statement that said they do not
  use lead as stabilizers, you said:

  "I do want to address the "lie" issue.  The high lead article to
  which I referred was the raincoat.  The TMA statement referred to
  toys.  At the risk of getting another explanation, if you view your
  raincoat as a toy, I hope Santa thinks more highly of you this year."

  The problem with your response is that the raincoat wasn't the only
  vinyl children's item that we and others have found lead in the
  thousands of parts per million.  For instance, NBC's Chicago
  affiliate recently did their own tests and found 6,610 ppm lead in an
  inflatable toy pizza.

  It would be foolish to argue that this item is not a toy and that
  it is not designed to be put in kids mouths.

  Ultimately, the question whether the lead is in there as a stabilizer
  or pigment additive is not the real point.  The point is that kids
  should not be exposed to vinyl, cadmium, phthalates, etc.  Vinyl
  products are a pandora's box of these poisons.

  -end-