Re: Background Dioxin Levels?

  >According to Bill Farland of EPA speaking today at Dioxin '97, soil
  >background levels across the US are ca. 20+/-6 ppt and that's what it will
  >say when the reassessment issues.

  To make this statement definitive, Bill Farland should describe sampling
  methodology, including for example, 'depth'.  If we take the land surface
  area of the US and Canada, and multiply by the depth, then using the
  20 ppt we can arrive at our total background inventory of dioxin stored in
  soil.  Should be an interesting number, the concept and origins of this
  inventory are interesting too.  We can divide by population and attribute
  per capita 'ownership' as well.

  Philip Fleischer   philip@prcn.org