Class I Hazardous Waste Injection; Monsanto Chemical Company

  i have yet to see epa deny an application for ui disposal, and have seen
  one or two dozen approvals.  congress caved big-time, the law allows epa to
  assume no migration w/out any quantitative proofs, while hydrogeoloists
  generally will say that's an untenable hypothesis.        -tony
  ---
  ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY

  [FRL-5879-8]

  Underground Injection Control Program Hazardous Waste Injection
  Restrictions; Petition for Exemption--Class I Hazardous Waste
  Injection; Monsanto Chemical Company, (Monsanto)

  AGENCY: Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

  ACTION: Notice of final decision on petition reissuance.

  SUMMARY: Notice is hereby given that reissuance of an exemption to the
  land disposal restrictions under the 1984 Hazardous and Solid Waste
  Amendments to the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act has been
  granted to Monsanto, for the Class I injection wells located at
  Chocolate Bayou, Alvin, Texas. As required by 40 CFR part 148, the
  company has adequately demonstrated to the satisfaction of the
  Environmental Protection Agency by petition and supporting
  documentation that, to a reasonable degree of certainty, there will be
  no migration of hazardous constituents from the injection zone for as
  long as the waste remains hazardous. This final decision allows the
  underground injection by Monsanto, of the specific restricted hazardous
  waste identified in the exemption reissuance, into the Class I
  hazardous waste injection wells at the Chocolate Bayou, Alvin, Texas
  facility specifically identified in the modified exemption, for as long
  as the basis for granting an approval of this exemption remains valid,
  under provisions of 40 CFR 148.24. As required by 40 CFR 124.10, a
  public notice was issued June 10, 1997, and closed on July 25, 1997.
  All comments have been addressed and have been considered in the final
  decision. This decision constitutes final Agency action and there is no
  Administrative appeal.

  DATES: This action is effective as of August 15, 1997.

  ADDRESSES: Copies of the reissued petition and all pertinent
  information relating thereto are on file at the following location:
  Environmental Protection Agency, Region 6, Water

  [[Page 44687]]

  Quality Protection Division, Source Water Protection Branch (6WQ-S),
  1445 Ross Avenue, Dallas, Texas 75202-2733.

  FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Philip Dellinger, Chief, Ground Water/
  UIC Section, EPA--Region 6, telephone (214) 665-7165.
  Oscar Ramirez, Jr.,
  Acting Director, Water Quality Protection Division.
  [FR Doc. 97-22361 Filed 8-21-97; 8:45 am]
  BILLING CODE 6560-50-P