  From: asagady@sojourn.com
  To: Multiple recipients of list
  Subject: Where to get hazardous waste code information
  Date: Saturday, August 23, 1997 12:17PM

  At 02:26 PM 8/23/97 -0400, cwac@execpc.com wrote:

  >Though "everyone" if the environmental management
  >field knows the "F-listed solvents" by
  >number --- how can ignorant citizen activists
  >find out what they are?

  Now you should never let anyone from Weyerhauser
  make you feel ignorant.....  That Weyerhauser guy
  was just "showing off" without sharing....

  ..this is a common problem from industrial
  environmental management personnel...particularly
  in the paper industry... when dealing with citizen
  environmental activists.

  >Is there a free Internet page somewhere that
  >provides this information?
  >
  >Rebecca Leighton Katers
  >Clean Water Action Council of N.E. Wisconsin

  Hazardous waste codes can be found in the
  Code of Federal Regulations (CFRs) at
  40 CFR parts 261.20 through 261.24 and
  261.30 through 261.35;  and appendixes
  I through IX

  You can get these by going to a law library that
  contains the current year's  Code of Federal
  Regulations.

  You can buy a paper copy from Government Institutes, Inc.
  (301) 921-2355

  You can go to:

  http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/index.html

  and do a search for the regs here, although
  I'm not sure whether they will have all of the
  appendixes, which you do need to deal with
  this stuff.  Look for the largest PDF file for
  the general 261 section.

  You can also go to a university library that
  is a federal depository and they'll probably
  have CFRs.

  Finally, your state hazardous waste management
  regulations will probably contain summary lists
  of all of the hazardous waste codes.

  Wastes from the pulping and bleaching processes
  at bleached kraft pulp mills will generally
  not test as hazardous under EPA's waste rules.

  They do have to be
  disposed in a lined landfill here in Michigan,
  although Champion International is apparently
  getting out of this by getting area farmers to
  take pulp mill sludge under a so-called "beneficial
  re-use" provision.   This practice  is apparently
  being heavily promoted by the USDA soil
  conservation service around the Champion
  Plant at Quinnesec, MI according to local
  activists around that plant.

  ----
  PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
  (517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)