Endocrine disruptor article withdrawn...

  Synergistic Effect of Environmental Estrogens: Report Withdrawn

  I write to formally withdraw the report "Synergistic activation of
  estrogen receptor with combinations of environmental chemicals" (7
  June 1996, p. 1489) (1), for which I was corresponding author.

  We have conducted experiments duplicating the conditions of our
  earlier work, but have not been able to replicate our initial
  results.

  Also, since our publication in Science (1), others have been unable
  to reproduce the results we reported (2). Meanwhile, people in many
  walks of life have, on their own, put great weight on this report
  as the basis for much discussion, thought, and even public policy.

  Whatever merit this publication contained, and despite the
  enthusiasm it generated, it is clear that any conclusions drawn
  from this paper must be suspended until such time, if ever, the
  data can be substantiated.

  In our laboratory, for the last 6 months, we have conducted
  experiments to elucidate the mechanisms to explain the phenomenon
  of synergy between estrogenic chemicals. These studies have been
  directed toward understanding the roles that estrogen receptor
  levels (3), the difference between monomer and dimer conditions of
  the estrogen receptor (4), and chemical transport across the cell
  membrane (5) play in the action of weak estrogens. None have
  provided a satisfactory mechanism to explain our earlier findings.
  Taken together, it seems evident that there must have been a
  fundamental flaw in the design of our original experiment. As a
  consequence of our efforts and those of others, and considering the
  impact our report has had in so many quarters, we have decided to
  formally withdraw the paper and its finding. We take this step in
  recognition of the reliance so many have placed on our work.

  Our laboratory will continue to aggressively conduct research on
  environmental endocrinology. We believe there are important and
  verifiable discoveries to be made.

  The co-authors have concurred in writing with this decision.

  John A. McLachlan
  Tulane-Xavier Center for
  Bioenvironmental Research,
  Tulane University,1430 Tulane Avenue,