Legitimate Complaints - Systemic Problems

  I agree with Mr. Sagady that citizen activists should not waste
  time dwelling on their "victimhood," but I don't
  agree with the implication that this
  victimization is imaginary or insignificant.

  This is an important discussion.    We
  have serious systemic problems in our regulatory
  agencies.   The agencies aren't living up to their
  purpose, due to outside political pressures,
  budget cuts, and legislated restrictions.    Government
  bureaucracies always have some human-nature
  inefficiencies, but that doesn't account for all
  the problems citizens have when they try to get help.

  Mr. Sagady himself described the political risks some staff
  took when they tried to do their jobs.    This
  should not be  acceptable.

  Also, I know some of the local citizens involved
  in the "Dickenson Citizens for Clean Air' group Mr.
  Sagady describes.   Last I heard, the group
  folded as a result of total burn-out of the
  citizen leaders.   At least one of the key
  leaders moved away.   It wasn't that their work was done
  and they were satisfied --- they just couldn't
  take the stress anymore.

  This burn-out is too common.   We lose good
  activists from Green Bay all the time --- they
  just get to the point where they have to get out
  of town or drop out of the picture because it's too frustrating,
  depressing, and overwhelming.

  Mr. Sagady describes intensive, long-term citizen
  struggles to solve GLARINGLY OBVIOUS problems.
  These are problems which shouldn't have continued
  more than a week without swift and
  decisive agency action.    Good citizen leaders
  get tied up for years on one or two of these
  cases, while dozens of other important environmental
  problems go unaddressed because of the overload.

  This isn't how it's supposed to be.

  Our natural resource and public health agencies
  were created to do this job for us.   That's why
  we pay taxes for these enormous bureaucracies.

  Please don't criticize citizens for expressing
  outrage that the agencies aren't capable, or
  allowed, or encouraged to do their jobs.

  Mr. Sagady states, "Many folks on the list seem really intent
  on bashing state and federal regulators and complaining about
  these agencies.   I see this kind of broadscale bashing as
  really counterproductive and marginalizing."

  It's not counterproductive if it helps list
  readers address the underlying cause of the
  problem.   The problem with unhelpful agencies IS
  "broadscale" and systemic.   It won't go away by pretending it
  doesn't exist.

  It's also distressing to note Mr. Sagady's clear
  disrespect and dislike for citizens who have been
  victimized by pollution, and doubly victimized by
  nasty agency staff people.

  Apparently, he dismisses as "complainers" any
  citizen who raises concern about unresponsive or
  hostile agencies.   He assumes those "complainers"
  don't do any real work and can't be effective --- an
  extreme insult if I ever heard one.
  (I "complain" all the time, but work HARD while
  I'm doing it.  Outrage is what keeps me
  motivated.   And yes, I am effective.)

  Unfortunately, though Mr. Sagady may not intend
  it this way, he's using the same arguments
  industry PR flacks use to dismiss and
  marginalize local citizen activists --- by
  claiming we're negative, adversarial,
  "bashing," etc.    This has to stop.

  Yes, it is possible for citizens to educate
  themselves and dive into technical proofs of
  environmental problems.   It is possible for them
  to spend thousands of dollars to hire
  consultants and lawyers, and to devote all their
  free time to pursuing justice.   The question is, WHY
  SHOULD THEY HAVE TO?

  Again, we have a systemic problem in our
  government --- the excessive political power of
  the wealthy and the corporations.

  We can continue to fight our depressing battles
  as individual citizen groups at the local level.
  We can even win a few.   But overall, we've got
  to get a handle on the cause of many
  of our problems:  Imbalance in political power,
  and the loss of democracy.

  Apparently, Mr. Sagady would dismiss this claim
  as the "inflexibility of ideology and dogma,"  but
  where I live, it's reality.    I've been active 15 years and I'm
  not as naive as I used to be.

  Green Bay is bought and paid for by the paper industry.
  They run this town (while everybody's distracted watching
  moronic football games.)   As long as they call the shots,
  we'll never have a healthy community.

  The new buzzword is "partnerships" with our
  former adversaries, with the myth that if we're NICE
  we'll get better results.

  I've tried the cozy meetings and the "partnerships,"
  but when millions of dollars are at stake and a large
  impersonal corporation is involved, it's a waste of
  my volunteer time.    Polluters respond to law
  enforcement, public exposure, political pressure,
  and strong consumer demand.    PERIOD.

  It's an unfortunate reality that too many
  regulators also respond ONLY to these "negative
  tactics."   Even the friendly ones expect
  citizens to do a lot of the dirty work.

  Mr. Sagady claims the new EPA air standards are
  an example of good agency staff work.   But those
  rules are long overdue and severely compromised.
  Though the new EPA ozone standards
  are somewhat better, I've been told by local DNR
  air management staff that because of the
  increased number of allowed  violations and the increased
  8-hour timeframe, the new standards will
  make little difference, at least in Wisconsin.
  This is just another example of an agency compromised
  because of the imbalance of political power,
  regardless of whether the individual staff people
  were good guys or not.   And EPA has NOT
  addressed many other serious air toxics issues.

  I'm convinced that environmentalists  MUST band
  together and get seriously involved in elections and
  campaign finance reform.   We must fix our legal
  system.   Otherwise, we'll be ground into dust
  (and insulted by Mr. Sagady and Mr. McClintock
  in the process.)

  Rebecca Leighton Katers
  Clean Water Action Council of N.E. Wisconsin
  2220 Deckner Avenue
  Green Bay, WI 54302
  Phone:  414-468-4243
  Fax:  414-468-1234