Cooking PCBs & Furans

  Question:

  Our local fish are highly contaminated with PCBs,
  furans and traces of dioxins.

  Our wonderful health agencies tell fishermen that
  if they trim off the skin and belly fat, and
  broil instead of fry the fish (so the fat drips
  off), this will greatly reduce the contamination
  and their health risks.

  But does the heating, scorching, and cooking
  actually CONVERT the remaining PCBs and furans
  into much more toxic Dioxins?

  I've asked many agency staff and some scientists
  if they know of any studies on this, but of
  course they all reassured me (without evidence)
  that this wouldn't occur.

  What's the truth?

  Rebecca Leighton Katers
  Clean Water Action Council of N.E. Wisconsin
  2220 Deckner Avenue
  Green Bay, WI 54302
  Phone:  414-468-4243
  Fax:  414-468-1234