  Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 16:18:08 -0500
  To: tcmay@got.net
  From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
  Subject: Re: Why I Support Microsoft
  Cc: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net, cmueller@metrolink.net

  Tim recently posted an essay about Microsoft that made some good points.
  Let me forward a recent post from a Naderite mailing list (headers attached
  if you want to subscribe) where the discussion is all about how to persuade
  the Feds to step in and squash Bill Gates.

  I'd call the scheme proposed by Charles Mueller a "blueprint for
  bureaucratic tyranny," but that might be taking him too seriously. Some
  excerpts:

  >Every consumer has the right to buy at a competitive
  >price--minimum cost plus a competitive profit--and
  >sustained pricing at a higher-than-competitive level shall
  >be prima facie evidence of monopoly.  In no case, however,
  >shall the Antimonopoly Authority be required to prove such
  >supracompetitive pricing, either currently or in the past...
  >
  >The second most frequent barrier to an effective
  >antimonopoly policy-- after the national judiciary--is
  >economic theory...
  >
  >The Antimonopoly Authority shall consist of the Director
  >and such staff attorneys and the like as required to fully
  >implement this Antimonopoly Bill of Rights.  He may
  >commence an action either on his own initiative or upon the
  >complaint of a Citizen or a business enterprise.  If after
  >an investigation he believes corrective action is required,
  >he will issue a formal statement of charges...

  Mueller also wonders below, "how does one get rid of" federal judges?
  Charles Mueller, meet Jim Bell...

  -Declan

  PS: I wonder if Mueller knows about the Federalist Society, which is a
  group of libertarian-leaning lawyers and law professors. Among other
  things, they make a point of educating judges about (gasp!) economic theory
  and this concept of a government strictly limited in its powers...