Re: Antitrust Bill of Rights

  	Ralph Anspach 11/28 objects to starting where we are, because we are
  where past invidious discrimination has landed us.
  	Starting with the world as it exists certainly incorporates the effects
  of the world as it has been.  But "they _simply_ incorporate into their
  solutions past discrimination against women,  minorities etc." seriously
  overstates, doesn't it?  And assumes what is to be proved, that direct
  attempts to "overcome" such discrimination yield a better result (however
  that is to be judged) _overall_ than any alternative on the table.
  Leaving aside the Becker "discrimination is impossible" fantasy, it still
  seems to me that the existing-in-America market provides enough
  opportunity for all.  (All who choose to work, that is.)  Unequal
  opportunity is not _no_ opportunity.  A person who is unable to make
  enough money to buy a Lexus and is therefore enraged is, well, whining.
  A system which precludes that person from being productive enough to make
  that much money is, other things being equal, less than optimally
  effective.  That does not make the cost of change less than the benefits;
  nor does it make the allocation of those costs more benign than the
  allocation of the benefits.
  	Even assuming that the "invidious discrimination" is identifiable and
  quantifiable.
  Michael E. Etchison
  etchison@puc.texas.gov
  [opinions mine, not the PUCT's]