M$ Monitor: Visit Congress Sept. 15

  The Micro$oft Monitor
  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  Published by NetAction          Issue No. 6                    July 26, 1997
  Repost where appropriate. Copyright and subscription info at end of message.
  * * * * * * *
  In This Issue:
  Visit Congress Sept. 15
  About The Micro$oft Monitor
  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

  Join NetAction in a Visit to Congress on September 15

  With the help of several dedicated volunteers, NetAction is arranging for a
  group of concerned Internet users to visit Congress and explain to our
  representatives why Microsoft's move to monopolize cyberspace is a threat to
  consumers.  We invite you to join us in Washington, D.C., on Monday,
  September 15, 1997, to tell Congress, "Don't Be Soft On Microsoft!"

  So circle the date on your calendar, and visit the NetAction web site to
  register as a participant: <http://www.netaction.org/lobby-form.html>.

  Right now, only a few members of Congress really understand the Internet,
  and even fewer understand why Microsoft is a threat to the Net's continued
  growth and development.  Since we can't rely on the Justice Department to
  stop the Microsoft monopoly, we must educate Congress about Microsoft's
  threat and convince our representatives to put pressure on the Justice
  Department to vigorously enforce the laws intended to protect competition.
  As a start, we will be asking Congress to hold public hearings so that
  consumer concerns about Microsoft will be on the record.

  But we need your help.  Congress needs to hear from real people -- Internet
  users like you who understand the Microsoft threat and can talk about your
  own experiences with Microsoft products.  Participants will spend the day
  visiting their representatives and other key members of Congress.

  Even if you've never done anything like this before, you can do it.
  NetAction will provide you with background material to hand out to your
  representatives, buttons to wear during your visits, and a brief lesson in
  lobbying techniques to help you communicate effectively with your
  representatives.

  If enough of us speak out, Congress will listen and the Microsoft monopoly
  will be stopped!  So please plan to join us in Washington, D.C., on
  September 15, for a visit to Congress.

  We will soon have information about travel and hotel accommodations for
  those who need it.  Meanwhile, you can register to participate at
  <http://www.netaction.org/lobby-form.html>.

  Questions?  Call NetAction at 415-775-8674, or write to: akrause@igc.org.

  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

  About The Micro$oft Monitor

  The Micro$oft Monitor is a free electronic newsletter, published as part of
  the Consumer Choice Campaign <http://www.netaction.org/msoft/ccc.html>.
  NetAction is a national, non-profit organization dedicated to educating the
  public, policy makers, and the media about technology-based social and
  political issues, and to teaching activists how to use the Internet for
  organizing, outreach, and advocacy.

  The body of the message should state: <subscribe monitor>.  To unsubscribe
  at any time, send a message to: <majordomo@manymedia.com>.  The body of the
  message should state: <unsubscribe monitor>

  NetAction is supported by individual contributions, membership dues and
  grants. For more information about contributing to NetAction, contact Audrie
  Krause by phone at (415) 775-8674, by E-mail at akrause@igc.org, visit the
  NetAction Web site at: <http://www.netaction.org>, or write to:
  NetAction * 601 Van Ness Ave., No. 631 * San Francisco, CA 94102

  To learn more about how activists can use the Internet for grassroots
  organizing, outreach, and advocacy, subscribe to NetAction Notes, a free
  electronic newsletter published twice a month.