Re: Unbelievable

  On Thu, 20 Nov 1997 21:47:11 -0500 (EST), John N. Bryan wrote:

  >an article that "Microsoft's Request for Extended Court
  >Hearing Opposed by U.S."
  >
  >What I found unbelievable to me, is the apparent audacity
  >and shameless gall demonstrated by this company and it
  >representatives.  Specifically, the articles quotes a
  >"top Microsoft executive, Jim Allchin" as saying in an
  >internal memo,
  >
  >      ``I don't understand how (Internet Explorer) is
  >      going to win,'' Allchin's memo said. ``The current
  >      path is simply to copy everything that Netscape
  >      does packaging and product wise . . . My conclusion
  >      is that we must leverage Windows more.''
  >
  >and the article then adds that, "Microsoft insists that
  >it's done nothing wrong because Internet Explorer is
  >[allegedly -jb] an integral part of the Windows 95 software,
  >and not a separate product."
  >
  >Are not these two statements contradictory?
  >
  >The final amazing statement is when the article states,
  >
  >"The Justice Department, Microsoft has said, knew about its
  >plans to integrate an Internet browser into the Windows software
  >even before it negotiated the earlier settlement."
  >
  >Pray, how might the DOJ have known about Microsoft's alleged
  >intent to integrate an Internet browser into the Windows
  >software before the current settlement was entered into?
  >When -was- this negotiation begun? Nonetheless, this seems
  >outrageously far fetched.  I am in slack-jawed amazement
  >at what these people are offering in their defense. I will
  >be sorely disappointed if any of this is deemed anything
  >other than a shameless, weak attempt to justify their
  >hand in the cookie jar after agreeing not to do so further.
  >I believe it will portend a darker future for the industry
  >and the consumer if the result of this DOJ proposed action
  >is handled as ineffectively as the one in which it now finds
  >itself in defense of.

       The responses coming out of Redmond just prove to the world what
  liars they all are (now the only problem is getting the world to
  listen).  To hear Gates whine you would never know this is the richest
  man in the world, but if you believe his tripe you'd swear the DOJ is
  out to make hime homeless.  It only shows me just how low these
  mobsters will go to cheat consumers.

       For starters the M$ claim that the DOL knew about their plans to
  integrate IE into win98 when they decided on their last consent decree
  is completely laughable when you consider the fact that there wasn't
  even such a thing as IE at that time.  Another ridiculous claim made by
  Gates is that if he's not allowed to integrate IE it will completely
  destroy windoze...who does he think he's fooling (IMO windoze will suck
  with or without IE integration ;-)).

   ...Cheers,

   ...Norm

  * Brought to you by OS/2 Warp v4.0 and PMMail *
  * For a copy of my PGP key send me a message  *
  * with "send pub_key" in the subject          *