RE: Brave New World

  If this is how you define philanthropy (and it is ok with me if you do),
  then how is Gates any different than most other CEO's?  Why even
  criticize him on this point?  It has nothing to do with the discussion
  on monopolies and seems to me to be just Microsoft bashing, which
  doesn't accomplish anything.

  What's wrong with prison labor?  Everything I've heard about prison
  labor (in this country, not counting communist countries where political
  prisoners are held) is that the inmates would much rather do work than
  sit around with nothing to do.  And isn't acquiring a work ethic, job
  skills, and self esteem a step in the right direction for getting
  prisoners "off the system", as you put it?

  Now if you are talking about forced labor, then that's a different
  story.

  As far as helping the homeless, mental institutions, and such, how do
  you know he doesn't?  I don't know one way or the other, but I am
  certainly not going to assume anything about what someone does in their
  private life.

  I'm not trying to protect Gates (I don't even know him).  I'm trying to
  see if there is any validity to this philanthropy argument.  And
  visiting a web page with the name "ms_sucks.html" isn't my idea of
  putting forth an argument.

  Dave Hamilton
  dhamilton@baydweller.com